The meeting last night was probably one of the more painful things that I've ever witnessed. I sat there and asked no questions... I just listened... and prayed.
The different options were laid out before us: Merge with Copper Hills; Hire a "start-up" pastor; Stay in our current location and be absorbed by our current host church and have our Thursday night service turn into a 20-30's video venue; or disband honorably.
The vote has been postponed by another week.
Forgive me if this is all I have blogged about lately. As my fellow bloggers know, we tend to write about the things that are on our minds. This is on mine.
The truth of the matter is that our church cannot survive as it is. We have no longer have an elder team and we have no one in our congregation that would be biblically appropriate to fill these rolls. We have not had a baptism in quite some time. We are not growing. Our tithes cannot support the 2 full time staff that we currently employ.
Evidently several years ago our church was gifted a sum of money by another church that disbanded. Very little of this sum is remaining. However there is some... and now we have to decide what to do with it. Use it to help a growing church with a similar mission (Copper Hills for example) and join them in the work of Christ here on earth. Use it to hire a start up pastor to see if we can revive our church. Or gift it elsewhere in our community and just part amicably.
These are difficult choices and we all have different ideas about what is best.
I would like to ask for prayer on behalf of our pastor Scott and his wife Amy as this must be an especially painful time for them.